The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: How he loved the moon
97 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
I was probably too flippant with my original explanation June see if this makes sense . One aspect of the equinoxes is that the sun and moon get closer to each others setting and rising points .When there is a full moon just before and just after the equinoxesif circumstances are right it will appear red and have a 30% chance of eclipsing that night .Visually the moon would be sun like , full and red then possibly disappearing , far more striking than major or mainor standstill moons which are often not even seen , it could also be seen as the lunar marking of the mid way point of the solstices .WKLB points to the part of the horizon where that would have taken place within a decade of the build date , it is not a regular event .The same moon but necessarily red and eclipsing is used to calculate Easter .Unfortunately it is a bit convoluted .Hope that helps .Come to think of it Gordon just explained the last bit far more clearly

That's a really clear and helpful explanation Tiompan - read in conjunction with Gordon's post I'm am actually 'getting it'. I also did a bit of reading up on the internet about red moon eclipses and there is a good peppering of biblical prophesies referred to, specifically in relation the 'sixth seal' in Revelations; biblical quotes such as 'the sun and the moon will be darkened' and the 'moon will turn to blood' indicate the fear and awe that this event may have caused. Perhaps by aligning WKLB with such a lunar event the people of that time may have hoped for their own dead to return.

Thanks for your time and patience.

June

yep it seems generally to have been seen in a negative way . Hide from it's light etc .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th January 2010ce
23:49

In reply to:

Re: How he loved the moon (tjj)

Messages in this topic: