The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hetty Pegler's Tump Forum Start a topic | Search
Hetty Pegler's Tump
Re: Chamber closed
11 messages
Select a forum:
davidtic wrote:
On visiting the barrow this Monday, I found the entrance completely sealed and turfed over. It all looks depressingly permanent, although the sign talks about a "programme of repairs" following the failure of the walls inside the barrow.

Does anyone know any more about this? The turf looked like it had been put there fairly recently:

The following link gives about a little more detail than the notice :- http://community.stroud.gov.uk/general.asp?pid=40&pgid=1110

In the March 07 year I contact a chap at Glos CC Archeo Services after I noticed some sort of frame had been erected at the rear of the barrow and was told that there was a risk of collapse. Later Treehugger went there and more or the frame work had been erected. I guess this along with the vandalism that has taken place the CC have decided to close it off on safety grounds.
It a shame as this is a real great barrow to visit but obviously there is a necessity to protect us. Lets hop it opens again soon.......

I was just wondering if the CC stumbled accross the vandals at work and just sealed them in there like a sort of time capsule? ;o)

:o)

Scubi

Reply | with quote
scubi63
Posted by scubi63
3rd March 2009ce
22:01

In reply to:

Chamber closed (davidtic)

1 reply:

Re: Chamber closed (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: