The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury
40 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
"The Kennet avenue consists of some straight sections and some of those have proved to have significant astronomical alignments , e.g. stone pairs 11-16 (the avenue is defined by paired stones ) stay on a orienation of 123.9 degrees for approx 120 metres when this is extended to the horizon it conicides with the point where the winetr minor lunar standstill will be seen every 18.6 yrs , it is also the site of Bitham barrow which is probably insignificant and fortuitous but a handy visual aid . Stone pairs 28-37 keep to a bearing of 148 degrees for a 220 metres and the point on the horizon the yindicate is the point where the major moon standstill will be seen every 18.6 years . Stones 78-83 are aligned 134 degrees and run for 110 metres they point to a point on the horizon where the winter solstice sun rises annually . "

Well I went back and tried to read John North on this, and he seems to be saying that West Kennet can be seen as a 'moon avenue' from various angles, and Beckhampton may have been solar. This follows through from the sightings of the main Avebury circle (which has both moon and sun alignments) - with the Cove giving sightings of both the moon and sun? He also said that the obelisk in the south circle centres with the geophy'sd circle/ditches in the West Kennet Avenue, presumably the Cove, that is no longer there, Stukeley talked about. I think the WK Avenue cove stone/obelisk went through to the Windmill Hill horizon.
All very confusing but fascinating..... also the lunar theory for the Avenue follows through the 'fertility' nature of the apposing stones, (which if I've got this right) if you box 4 in a rectangular and then look across diagonally you have two similar stone shapes....

I was surprised that North doesn't consider the avenue alignments away from the monument but goes off on a tangent literally and metaphorically with the pairs of stones across the avenue , as he did with barrows . He never actually talks about the avenues straight sections . As much as I admire his work the the alignments inside Avebury are difficult to prove for intentionality , using circles from geophys (they were in the NE quadrant )and an obelisk that is no longer there sighted on a bank whose height is guessed at is not a good start .
Yes he does do the rectangular stuff which when you consider the amount of pairs ,like the amount of bits in the henge you could come up with anything you like , he does have the straight sections marked on his plan which is more accurate than most but never checks their alignment .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
10th December 2008ce
20:30

In reply to:

Re: Avebury (moss)

1 reply:

Re: Avebury (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: