The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Blowing Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Blowing Stone
The Blowing Stone at Kingston Lisle
4 messages
Select a forum:
Hi - Has anyone heard of this site? I couldn't find a reference for it on here. I was reading a book on Oxfordshire today and it offers a picture of the Blowing Stone at Kingston Lisle and lists a couple of paragraphs describing it.

to quote; the stone is '...an ancient sarsen stone relocated to (Kingston Lisle) in Victorian time. Different sources suggest that it was moved here by Edwin Martin-Atkins, a squire with antiquarian leanings (I love that!) by the local balcksmith who lived nearby, or by a publican who saw it as a way of relieving tourists of their money. The stone is described by Thomas Hughes in Tom Brown's School Days as being full of ''perforated antediluvian rat holes'' and blowing into the holes can produce a loud mournful noise.'

Then the part I like; 'According to legend, King Alfred used the stone as a kind of trumpet to summon his troops when the Danish forces were approaching'.

Not for the first time are the Danish forces mentioned in Oxfordshire folklore - The Kingstone at the Rollrights is reputed to be the Danish King turned to stone by a witch. I wonder if there was an Bronze-age King and the name of the King changed to glorify King Alfred down the ages? Also I'd love to know where it was moved from - maybe the Tumulus at Kingston Lisle reported by Wysefool?

Anyway I digress - If a stone is moved to another site, does it lose it's status or antiquarian interest? I know the Sarsens at Churchill are posted here somewhere. Is this worth further investigation and postings if it is of interest? I'm kicking about for the next week and plan to reacquaint myself with these sites in Oxon and might slide by for a peak. If anyone knows of it I'd love to hear

Cheers
JS

Reply | with quote
jacksprat
Posted by jacksprat
31st August 2008ce
20:26

Messages in this topic: