The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Carvannel Menhir Forum Start a topic | Search
Carvannel Menhir
Mr. Hamhead and Cornish Cohorts - New Menhir?!!
16 messages
Select a forum:
Hmm, what to say other than I'm pretty excited?

Was out this afternoon in a relatively overlooked bit of the county (Kerrier) and on a totally non-stone related derive about with the camera (on a mission to chronicle some of the Kerrier badlands abandoned farms and rusty vehicles, actuellement)...also deciding as is my wont to take in some of the more obscure footpaths of the Carnmenellis district to see if they were actually walkable..and I think, I really really do, that I've come across, to use local parlance, a gurt big minger of a previously unrecorded menhir...s'about 7 feet high, set on end, perfectly upright and pretty wide indeed with a marked declivity to the top...it's set in a hedge line (the hedge itself is raggedy gorse, not stone) amongst a warren of small streamside/heath edge pasture.
Now I'm being cautious because 1) I am; 2) because its right beside a footpath with a waymarker post, however patchily overgrown and near-impassable that path is in places; 3) Erm, feel a bit out of my league chestbeating about what to me, the more I look at it, seems a beauty....but egg on face and that...
So yes I do have a pic, was wondering if anyone else wanted to offer me a second, third &c. opinion on this one before I go ahead and post it?
You can contact me offlist at [email protected] learned comment needed!

Yr humble &c.
Chris

Reply | with quote
chris s
Posted by chris s
9th April 2008ce
22:10

Messages in this topic: