The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Broughton Mains Forum Start a topic | Search
Broughton Mains
Re: Regionalsurfacegroovinesscomparision
25 messages
Select a forum:
Hob wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what the score is down Yorkshire way with the groove/fissure thing. I think there's got to be something in it in the D&G area carvings, and reasonable evidence for it in Argyle.

It's a bit harder to claim anything in Northumberland, but I think the connection is still there, just mutated into a slightly different form, with emphasis on the local natural features on a wider scale rather than the features on the surface that actually bears the carvings. This possibly being in the absence of the cracked/fissured metamorphic surfaces found north of the Whin Sill.

I'd think that the Pennine stuff would be more like Northumberland, due to similar stone, and would hence also be very interested in hearing about how things are in Ireland.

One basic common denominator in all areas of the UK is that the duct/tail/radial coming from a central cup will tend to go downhill but joining a crack at much the same angle or roughly right angles to it appears primary . The same type of "grammar" could be applied to ducts/tails etc coming , not from a central cup but a ring or "crooks"
around cups but that's another story .
The tails will also connect to other motifs , and if the geology doesn't give you that type of surface then man made connecting grooves replace the natural cracks , in effect having the same function .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
12th February 2008ce
21:33

Messages in this topic: