The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ballynahow Beg Forum Start a topic | Search
Ballynahow Beg
Re: Rock Art and Astronomical Events
23 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:

I always check any new finds for possible astro alignments and there are examples of RA that coincide with the topography to provide a possible marker for an important lunar/solar event .There are also the more common monuments that are accepted as being aligned on astro events which also have RA If you do find a possible line it is very difficult to prove intentionality and thus making it an alignment but you may well have one there , to check it's potential you would have to know accurate grid refs for the stone and the notch and also their heights above sea level .

Thanks, yes indeed, proving an alignment with no artificial backsight is a slippery business but sure in Ireland you'll still get directions from people with such timeless waypoints as 'turn right when you see a red van parked outside a bungalow' :)

Co-ords and altitude for the RA are no problem, getting similar for the notch is probably extremely difficult given that it's a different notch from any other location! I know the sun will set in that notch in the next few weeks but it moves so fast at the equinoxes it's premature for me to say it's anything but speculation. Just wondering if anyone's nailed down a more persuasive assortment of RA sites with similar.

Reply | with quote
CianMcLiam
Posted by CianMcLiam
10th September 2007ce
23:09

Messages in this topic: