The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Absurdity of time capsules
22 messages
Select a forum:
"I suppose you could also argue why the history of a neolithic quarry has anything to do with the children who just happen to live locally, do we have time capsules at castles, roman forts, iron age hillforts, not nitpicking here Fitz but just interested. I know we should teach our children to love the world around them and by making them write a few poems AT LEAST focus their minds on something definitely to do with history, but the world has moved on somewhat, as they will..
Also, secondary burials in barrows just shows a lazy tendency not to get the shovel/antlers pick out and dig a new grave.. and I expect votive offerings always come with a "Please god/goddess make me better, mend my broken heart, kill the neighbours pigs etc...."

I guess if the children were descended from Welsh quarrymen or lived in commiunities established by quarrymen, it would be a way of acknowleging a lineage, that until recently remained unbroken, establishing a connection with their ancestory and the landscape around them.

I'm fairly neutral on the time capsule thing although I do think it indicates a certain lack of imagination.

As for secondary burials, could they not be seen as burials placed into ancestoral 'consecrated ground'? after all we still bury our dead in family graves.

cheers
fitz

Reply | with quote
fitzcoraldo
Posted by fitzcoraldo
15th August 2007ce
14:02

Messages in this topic: