The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Ancient sites: Protect or Use?
225 messages
Select a forum:
ryaner wrote:
I didn't call you a troll, or any other name, I merely suggested that you may be engaging in troll-like behaviour. That's an impression I got from your long and sometimes sophistic contributions. While a lot of the stuff you write is interesting, I couldn't help but get the impression you were on a wind-up.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to clear that up politely. It's appreciated. The observation of a troll-like impression is much more reasonable, although I do feel that it's unwarranted. I actually enjoy thinking about issues like this and discussing them in great depth with intelligent people who have an interest in the same subject and a different angle to bring to the table. I'm a bit depressed that such discussion could be mistaken for trolling, and I'm not sure how else I could have approached the subject to avoid such suspicion.

ryaner wrote:
Your dig at people not having the 'sense' to check your website seemed to reveal a certain hmmmm… intolerance? Maybe you'd got fed up with the circularity of the argument at that stage.

No. I'd got fed up with being accused of trolling when all I was trying to do was have an involved discussion. Speaking of circular arguments though.... I was challenged to prove that I wasn't a troll, and then after gently nudging people towards my website as evidence of that fact, I was then accused of only being here to promote my website! That's a no-win situation by anyone's definition. And quite what I'd gain from promoting a non-commercial website is another deep mystery to me. If had some obscure motivation for promoting it, I’m perfectly capable of making a post saying “Hi guys, would you mind checking out my website please?”.

ryaner wrote:
Your main gripe with others here seems to be the impression of intolerance offering leavers might get due to the members' strongly held beliefs.

Actually, it's not a gripe at all. I can well understand how an interest in this area can lead to a jaded approach, cynicism and intolerance. I've suggested that a step back from that position may be productive, but I have no grip with anyone who chooses to do otherwise.

ryaner wrote:
It's hard for me to see how you can ever get a meeting of minds on that. I find the whole debate incredibly emotive. Some of the neglect and wanton destruction at sites here in Ireland is disgraceful. It sometimes causes me to behave in an intolerant manner. That's not said to excuse my own contribution – I was wrong when I insulted you and apologise for that.

Thank you. That's very much appreciated and I’m not one to hold a grudge. Tempers get frayed very easily in internet discussions, and it becomes easy to see the worst in people rather than the best.

It is indeed an emotive issue, and I find it utterly depressing seeing the neglect suffered by many of our ancient sites. I also abhor the thoughtless attitude that seems to prevail amongst many visitors, but I still hold out hope that such attitudes are held in ignorance rather than malice, and given the right approach, they can be addressed. Much of what seems obvious to you or I may not be so to the less well-informed, and it seems to me that it's therefore productive to try and educate them before we attack them. Which was my whole point in this thread, really!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
29th June 2007ce
17:59

Messages in this topic: