The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
"The Tribes of Britain"
6 messages
Select a forum:
I've searched for a mention of this book (David Miles - Phoenix- ISBN 0-7538-1799-3 £9.99) on this site with no luck so an intro an a question might be in order. "Who are we? And where do we come from?" The book is an overview of present thinking concerning the origins, and legends about, the peoples who inhabit these islands from the extreme past to the present.It's the first 120 pages (out of 500) that concern us here, some Italians wander into the frame after that. I'm sure that many of the stories are familiar to us but one little quote jumped out at me...P110..."The earliest known British wheel came from Flag Fen, dating to 1,300bc (although wheels could have arrived 2,000 years earlier).......". His brackets. The source for this assertion?
Perhaps it wasn't as difficult as we might have thought to lug those sodding great rocks all over the place........just bung them on the nearest low-loader and off you go....;)
Jim.

Reply | with quote
jimit
Posted by jimit
3rd December 2006ce
18:05

1 reply:

Wheel (Pete G)

Messages in this topic:

"The Tribes of Britain" (jimit, Dec 03, 2006, 18:05)
    • Wheel (Pete G, Dec 03, 2006, 19:07)