The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Aberdeenshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Aberdeenshire
First time in Aberdeenshire. . soon!
44 messages
Select a forum:
I've taking a week off soon. I'm leaving the Midlands on Sunday afternoon and travelling North. Coming back the following Saturday. I've set five days aside to see Stone Circles. Cheers!!!
I have a mate who says I can stop in his house in Aberdeenshire (7 miles south of Aberdeen). So I'm going on a circle-fest. Just me & my red van, some maps and an anorak.
Which are the 'Must see' circles? I've already put East(er) Aquhorthies, Loanhead Of Daviot and Midmar Kirk on my list. But I'll have quite a few days there. any recommendations? The TMA book raves about the Dunnideer Area. Am I best to try around there?
I also want to see some sites by churches. Xtianised sites.
Also, would you spend all five days in Aberdeenshire, or would you do some Perth and Dundee type sites. . I've just started planning my week and my mind's boggled by what's around Perth. There's a HUGE concentration of circles there. I'm planning to do a bit of travelling, and would like to stop in some pubs as well. I envisage 5 full days in the area.
What would you do? Spend it all in Aberdeenshire or do Perth too? I've never been to either before.
I know I'll only be scratching the surface, whatever I do.
Sounds like bliss though, doesn't it?

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
16th June 2005ce
22:15

Messages in this topic: