The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Nine Ladies of Stanton Moor Forum Start a topic | Search
Nine Ladies of Stanton Moor
Re: Stanton Moor quarries are dormant
7 messages
Select a forum:
This was the letter of objection that I sent to the PDNPA:

Councillor John Bull
Planning Committee Chairperson
PDNPA
Aldern House
Bakewell
DE45 1AE

Dear Councillor Bull,

Re: Determination of conditions, Endcliffe and Lees Cross quarries, Stanton in Peak, NP/DDD/299/082

I am writing to express my concern at the plan for Stancliffe Stone to re-open the aforementioned dormant quarries.

As a frequent visitor to the Peak District over the last 15 years, I am absolutely horrified to learn of these plans. The only possible impact upon the surrounding landscape will be detrimental.

I understand that the objections of non-residents may not carry as much weight as that of locals, but I would like to point out that 'tourists' such as myself provide a large cash influx to the local economy. In September, I and my fiancé spent a weekend in Stanton in Peak (which is when we learned of these plans). During our visit, we spent money on accommodation, eating out, petrol, photography equipment, entrance to local attractions, souvenirs and other sundries.

I will say categorically that if this development goes ahead, I shall never visit the Peak District again. There are plenty of other areas of the country that appreciate their heritage and do their best to preserve it, without the need to sacrifice either the landscape or the local economy. This isn't intended as a threat, since I imagine that would sound churlish and carry little weight, but it is rather my hope that you might consider my words and understand the negative impact that the quarry development would have financially on the surrounding area.

It is my understanding that while you do not have the power to refuse permission for the quarry to re-open, you do at least have the power to impose highly restrictive conditions of operation on the site. I would urge you to follow this course of action, for the benefit of the economy, the local community, and the unique environment of the area.

As you are obviously aware, planning permission for a quarry in such an area would never be granted if the application were made today, and so I do not think it unreasonable that you should do all in your power to make the re-opening impractical, thus upholding the spirit of the law in this matter.

I hope you are able to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion, so that I and my family are able to enjoy further visits to the Peak District in the future.

Regards,

Reply | with quote
doktoratomik
Posted by doktoratomik
23rd June 2004ce
09:21

In reply to:

Re: Stanton Moor quarries are dormant (doktoratomik)

Messages in this topic: