The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Machuim Forum Start a topic | Search
Machuim
or MachUIm????
16 messages
Select a forum:
Hi guys. Working on Pt 3 of the dreaded 'Callanish and...pt 3' I came across a fair 'Ball o' confusion' when I went to check out what's already on TMA about one of the sites we visited.

This here 'MachUIm' or 'MachIUm' site seems to be on't TMA site twice....

It's under 'Perthshire' as a subsite to 'Fortingall & Kenmore', and called 'Machium' posted originally (I think!) by winterjc, with photies added by Nickbrand among others.

But it's also under 'Stirling and elsewhere' as 'Machuim Farm, Loch Tay' posted by Hamish....

According to my Landranger 51, the farm is indeed called MachUIm.

Any chance of sorting it out? As there have been a few different hands involved it's a bit complicated. Job for Mr McG perhaps?

According to a map Andy Bigsweetie sent me for another reason that shall remain known only to Scottish Megaraks if I have my way, it is in Perthshire. (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/new[...].srf&searchp=newsearch.srf)

Although I don't have dead strong feelings about it, I personally don't really see why it should be a subsite of 'Fortingall & Kenmore'. According to TMA's 'nearest sites' facility it's about 8km from Fortingall. (Dunno what that is in 'real money' but it's a fair distance!)

It also means it doesn't appear on 'index' pages in its own right.

So assuming the info on spelling and region I've got from the OS map & Andy is correct, can I suggest that we move everything that's been posted about it to a page for 'Machuim' Stone Circle in the 'Perthshire' part of the site....

Anyone?

love

Moth

PS Scottish Megaraks - do I win a pudding?

Reply | with quote
Moth
Posted by Moth
1st July 2003ce
22:44

2 replies:

Re: or MachUIm???? (Holy McGrail)
Sorry Holy! (Moth)

Messages in this topic: