The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Gannel Rock Markings Forum Start a topic | Search
Gannel Rock Markings
What the hell...?
4 messages
Select a forum:
Is anyone else as flummoxed as I am as to what the hell are the Gamel Rock Markings posted by Phil? http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/browse.php?site_id=1802 When I first saw the pics they reminded me of those holes left after geological surveys. You know, where they use a tube like drill then fit a thingy over the cylinder in the rock which marks its orientation , then they break it off and take it back to the lab for tests.
Then I saw the one with the 20p piece... well after a couple of minutes with a pair of dividers (they kept on sliding off the screen), borrowing a coin, marking dots on a bit of paper and a little calculation.... they are about 400mm (16in) across!!
Even with modern diamond tipped drills I don't think these could be done with a hand held machine which pre-supposes that some kind of gantry must have been erected. Was this some kind of experiment done to test a drill and machine? I can't see them being that ancient as they seem too perfect. Any thoughts?

Reply | with quote
jimit
Posted by jimit
11th June 2003ce
16:43

3 replies:

Re: What the hell...? (Kammer)
Re: What the hell...? (crowdercref)
Re: What the hell...? (Mr Hamhead)

Messages in this topic: