The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Marlborough Mound Forum Start a topic | Search
Marlborough Mound
Re: Comments...
11 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
tjj wrote:

That part of the river Kennet also runs through the college grounds Moss, a car park to be specific. The mound is quite close to the Marlborough College Chapel which is worth a visit if you like Pre-Raphaelite paintings. I have been there a couple of times to hear a choral performance - unfortunately on both occasions is was starting to get dark so I wasn't able to wander up to the mound.

it is is only fit and proper there should be Pre-Raphaelite paintings in the chapel tjj, William Morris was a pupil there.... a letter to his sister describes a visit to Avebury by the young Morris,( taken from one of my blogs years ago)....
note his cautious reference 'to the lions of Abury', he had been drinking at the pub of course....

Life of William Morris by J.W.Mackail 1901

...."On Monday I went to Silbury Hill which I think I have told you before is an artifical hill made by the Britons but first I went to a place called Abury where there is a Druidical circle and a roman entrenchment both which encircle the town originally it is supposed that the stones were in this shape first one large circle then a smaller one inside this and then one in the middle for an altar but a great many in fact most of the stones have been removed so I coud not tell this. On Tuesday morning I was told of this so I thought I would go there again, I did and then I was able to understand how they had been fixed; I think the biggest stone I could see had about 16 feet out of the ground in height and about 10 feet thick and 12 feet broad the circle and entrenchment altogether is about half a mile; at Abury I also saw a very old church the tower was very pretty indeed it had four little spires on it of the decorated order, and there was a little Porch and inside the porch a beautiful Norman doorway loaded with mouldings the chancel was new and was paved with tessellated pavement this I saw through the Window for I did not know where the sexton's house was so of course I could not get the key, there was a pretty little Parsonage house close by the church. After we had done looking at the lions of Abury which took us about half an hour we went through a mud lane down one or two fields and last last but not least through what they call here a water meadow is as there are none of them in your part of the world, so for your edification I will tell you what a delectable affair a water meadow is to go through; in the first place you must fancy a field cut through with an infinity of small streams say about four feet wide each the people to whom the meadows belongs can turn these streams on and off when they like and at this time of the year they are on just before they put the fields up for mowing the grass being very long you cannot see the water till you are in the water and floundering in it except you are above the field luckily the water had not been long when we went through it else we should have been up to our middles in mud, however perhaps now you can imagine a water meadow; after we had scrambled through the meadow we ascended Silbury Hill it is not very high but yet I should think it must have taken an immense long time to have got it together I brought away a little white snail shell as a memento of the place and have got it in my pocket book I came back at half past five the distance was altogether about fourteen miles"...............
April 13th 1849

Fascinating Moss, thanks for that. Relevant to the Marlborough Mound as well since it has now been proved to be contemporaneous with Silbury. Sounds like the Silbury meadow was running with springs back then too.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
26th January 2014ce
16:26

In reply to:

Re: Comments... (moss)

Messages in this topic: