The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   East Kennett Forum Start a topic | Search
East Kennett
Re: So much b*dger activity.
11 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
I braved 15-20m through the nettles (in shorts) and counted 7 badger entrances/exits.
Is it beyond EH's funds to stick a drain camera down one or two of them to assess the damage ? And maybe gain a little knowledge ?

I know it's the last "virgin" LB in the area, so shouldn't we be monitoring it better ?

A very subjective question ;) Of course I am not in favour of killing the badgers, they are under enough strain as it is atm. Always argued that you should leave EK and its badgers the home they have always had over the generations. Maybe they have shuffled a few bones around, created a few holes here and there but so will a full scale excavation, so a monitoring camera might be useful.
They moved some badgers out of a barrow on Salisbury Plain, because of the damage, maybe that is the way to go but it will be a miserable day for the badgers ....

Edit: or did they move the badgers? Natural England monitored the situation of the dig here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19147035

It's a bit of a toughie for me, as whilst i don't believe the badgers should be there i'm not sure i'd like them turfed out either. I'd also say i'm equally concerned about the tree roots as they have they capacity to cause even more damage.

I wonder if a drain cam could stand up to a badger attack, or if the law would even allow such an inspection.

Reply | with quote
harestonesdown
Posted by harestonesdown
23rd July 2013ce
09:07

Messages in this topic: