The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Central London Forum Start a topic | Search
Central London
Re: Ice Age Art at the BM
56 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Went along to this on Tuesday. Absolutely stunning.

Hard to take in to be honest, even as you are staring at the objects. I've since been thinking about the circumstances under which some of these were created, the possible reasons, the kind of life those people led and what those pieces of art meant to them.

Strangely, perhaps, considering the other wonders on offer, my favourite piece was a small fish, made of bone c13,000BC, from Lespugues, France.
But it was all fantastic.

If you're thinking of seeing it, its on until 2nd June and the site says advance tickets are sold out but some may be available on the door. Worth investigating that possibility as its a superb collection.

Yup, you’re right, it is hard to take in... close, but so far removed from ‘us’ - and that’s the puzzling bit maybe.

Just out of curiosity, how did you feel about the inclusion of the ‘modern’ art items? Were they relevant in the context of an art of the Ice Age exhibition do you think?

They held no interest for me personally whatsoever and apart from the briefest of glimpses, I totally ignored them.
I think I can see what the intention might have been in including them, but it failed to connect in my opinion.

It felt a bit like somebodys idea for an essay, if that makes sense. And I don't much like being led to make those sort of comparisons, it felt weak and didn't link anything beyond the obvious visual similarities.

Reply | with quote
Evergreen Dazed
Posted by Evergreen Dazed
31st May 2013ce
11:06

In reply to:

Re: Ice Age Art at the BM (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Ice Age Art at the BM (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: