The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Eire Forum Start a topic | Search
Eire
Re: PS
28 messages
Select a forum:
No this monument was definitely near Dundalk alright. Wright only drew monuments in Louth, although it is fitting and perhaps coincidental and interesting that the name of the place, Ballynahattin (or Ballynahatne as Wright had it) is similar to Ballynahatty where the Giant's Ring is located. The site of the Stonehenge is actually in the modern townland of Carnbeg, which adjoins the townland of Ballynahattin. It was surveyed in January 2006 by GBS Prospection Ltd, a company which has done work on Time Team. They found the remains of two circular rings with ditches.

This monument, drawn by Wright, seems to be unique in that it consisted of FOUR concentric circles of stones. (Anyone else know where a comparable structure might be found I'd love to hear about it!). There were two inner circles, enclosed by a large embankment which also had a circle of stones on its top, and the whole was surrounded by giant megaliths, which Wright judged to have originally numbered 10.

It's pretty much completely possible to see any remains today, partly because the monument is now part of a golf course, but in 1970 a Cambridge University Aerial photo showed a crop mark possibly indicating that Wright's Ballynahatne Stonehenge was actually at Carnbeg. That aerial photo is on my webpage:

http://www.mythicalireland.com[...]nehenge/irelandstonehenge.html

While the whole area in the vicinity of the site is due to be developed (indoor concert arena, 500 houses and a retail park), the owner of Carnbeg is interested in preserving and perhaps excavating the remains of the Stonehenge:

http://mythicalireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432

As to what happened its stones, I am on the hunt and am getting warmer. It may be that many of the smaller stones were smashed up for road material or used as gate posts while what happened to the larger ones is more exciting. But I'm keeping that for the book !!! ;-)

PS: Ballynahattin apparently means the town of the furze.

Reply | with quote
Posted by mythicalireland
9th December 2008ce
13:20

In reply to:

Re: PS (bawn79)

2 replies:

Re: PS (tiompan)
Re: PS (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: