The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury & the Marlborough Downs Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury & the Marlborough Downs
Re: The Avebury Journal
137 messages
Select a forum:
Yes, I'm back to front. That's the next northernmost event between Sanctuary and Silbury. I've never seen either so I have no image of the landscape whatsoever. I'm hoping to have another shot at the moonset in Smithills then.

The southernmost standstill event is the moonrise on the morning of April 1st. I've calculated it at 02:18 for Avebury but I don't know when British Summer Time begins this year. The moon should rise above the Southern Entrance, as seen from behind the Z-Stones; in the Last Quarter phase. It's so important it'll inevitably rain.

I spent an hour and a half on top of a freezing Bolton moor watching for a moonrise ninety degrees away from where it actually was. By the time the standstill gets exact, next year, all these practise manoevres might seem worthwhile.

Reply | with quote
StoneLifter
Posted by StoneLifter
23rd March 2005ce
19:37

In reply to:

Re: The Avebury Journal (Pete G)

1 reply:

Re: The Avebury Journal (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: