The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Thornborough Henges Forum Start a topic | Search
The Thornborough Henges
Re: Just read this then ...
47 messages
Select a forum:
Firstly you have to ask yourself "are the alternative explanations plausible?" Aliens, mysterious weather conditions, earth energies. Aliens would not prat about with crop circles, they would either destroy us and take over the Earth (maybe they already have ;o)) or attempt to make meaningful contact. Weather conditions or Earth energies would be either much more random (non-geometric) or much more consistent (broadly similar patterns), but would certainly not produce such a wide variety of amazingly different geometric patterns.

The only plausible explanation is that they are formed by humans. Having made that statement it is therefore necessary for me to answer the various counter-examples.

1. Massive patterns constructed in a short space of time - this only depends on the size of the workforce. A pattern of 151 circles could be constructed in just a few minutes by 151 students making one circle each. The "eye witnesses" in the Stonehenge case only confirmed an interval duing which it must have appeared; they did not report seeing it being constructed. The other reports are presented as hearsay and sound fairly dubious, rather like alien abduction claims. No references to actual tesimonies are given.

2. Peculiar bending of the stalks - this "research" was done some time ago and I seem to remember that it was later shown to be flawed. The samples had been selected carefully to demonstrate the particular point rather than being a representative random sample. Stalks, particularly near the edge of a pattern, can show a wide variety of deformations, some of which will fall into the required category just by chance. Anyone wishing to perpetuate the story would obviously leave out this aspect of the tale.

3. Accuracy of the geometry - this only requires good advanced planning, a £30 laser level from B&Q and good quality tape measure (not from B&Q).

4. Soil sample anomolies and biological changes in the crop - I'd like proper references to these findings, but assuming they are correct, maybe the pranksters applied microwaves directly to the crops or watered the ground with a nitrate solution just to cause more speculation. This would not be beyond the abilities of students and they'd probably have a good giggle at the scientific interpretation that ensued.

5. Strange effects - give someone half an excuse and they'll report a strange effect. People have problems with cameras and other electronic gadgets all the time, but they don't report them if they're only photgraphing granny's day out. Animals (and people) may be disorientated by the swirled patterns of the laid crop (I'll try to dig out a reference that illustrates this point amazingly). My combine harvester didn't like flattened crops, there is a temptation for the driver to try to get the remnants of the crop by running the header lower than normal. There is then the risk that the tines dig into the ground so you pick up stones and other debris that can cause blockages and breakdowns.

I remember seeing some guy on TV (a scientist, sorry I don't remember his name) who had devised a crop circle theory based on freak wind patterns. As the programme progressed he was trying more and more deperately to justify and modify his theory in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Having nailed his colours to the mast he was willing to sacrifice his scientific objectivity in an attempt to save face. There were also people who were claiming they could tell a "fake" circle from a "real" one by the bending pattern of the stalks. They pronounced a circle genuine that had been created and filmed by the TV crew the night before.

Crop circles are so obviously created by humans that I am amazed that anyone would entertain any other explanation.

Reply | with quote
Steve Gray
Posted by Steve Gray
6th November 2003ce
23:41

In reply to:

Just read this then ... (AtomicMutton)

Messages in this topic: