A univallate hillfort situated within the grounds of Alton Towers. It is situated on a naturally defensible spur of land which falls away westwards towards the river Churnet, and is defended to the north and east by the valley of the Slain Hollow. The site was surveyed by RCHME field staff in 1988. The survey identified that only a fraction of the original hillfort earthworks survive following prolonged and extensive destruction through land use. It was likely that the hillfort once covered a much wider area than suggested by the existing earthworks. The surviving defences comprise two main sections of rampart along the northwest and southwest escarpment edges. Both sections appear to be of a single construction phase. A low bank along the southwest escarpment edge, which has in the past been interpreted as a boundary bank, was identified as another section of original rampart. The survey also identified an isolated bank, 23 metres in length and 3 metres high which also may be a remnant of the original hillfort defences. An element of the rampart is also visible on lidar, and was mapped as part of the Staffordshire National Mapping Programme project. The latest condition of the site could not be discerned due to tree cover. Scheduled.
The first druidical remain which I shall mention, is called the Rocking-Stone, and two different views thereof are exhibited at No. 1 and 2 of the etched plate attending these remarks.
It is situated so as to be a boundary mark between the two town-ships, Golcar and Slaighthwait in the parish of Huddresfield, on what is called Golcar-Hill, and gives the name of Hole-Stone Moor to the adjoining grounds.
The size of it is about ten feet and half long, nine feet four or five inches broad, and five feet three inches thick. It rests on so small a center, that at one particular point, a man may cause it to rock, though it has been damaged a little in this respect by some masons, who endeavoured to discover the principle on which so large a weight was made to move.
From 'Druidical Remains in or near the Parish of Halifax in Yorkshire, discovered and explained by the Rev. John Watson, MAFSA and Rector of Stockport in Cheshire', read at the Society of Antiquaries, Nov. 21, 1771. (Archaeologia v.2).
The grid reference is where the stone is marked on the 1880 map.
Hmm imagine being glowered over by those rocks on the hill above. And they can look after themselves (to a point):
On the edge of Ravenstone precipice, in Greenfield, there formerly stood a large rocking stone (by the rocking of which the Druids tried their criminals for minor offences), but this stone was ruthlessly destroyed by the miners engaged in excavating the Standedge canal tunnel. These worse than Celtic barbarians assembled on this spot, and blew this time-honoured memorial into countless fragments, one of which, however, struck one of the men and killed him on the spot.
From Saddleworth Sketches by Joseph Bradbury, 1871.