|Details of Long Barrow on Pastscape
A long barrow, known as Lugbury(s) (2) 180-200 (6) by 90-80 (6) feet, and 6 feet high mound, reduced by ploughing, orientated east - west with a false entrance at the east end; and in the eastern half of the south side, four closed chambers or cists. Crawford suggested that there were passages to the chambers from the edge of the barrow but Daniel thought this unlikely.
Excavated by Colt Hoare in 1821 who found a contracted inhumation at ground level. Completely re-excavated by Scrope (report by Thuman) in 1854/5 who found three chambers which contained multiple burials of adults and children of both sexes: all dolichocephalic types. Also an empty chamber - probably rifled. Some flint flakes and a probable scraper were found. (2-7)
This long barrow, although scheduled, has been so spread by ploughing that the side ditches are now overlain by material from the mound. Surveyed at 1/2500. (8)
'Lugbury' (name unverified) long barrow survives as a grass-covered mound now reduced by ploughing to a rectangular form, 57.0m, E-W by 20.0m N-S and up to 1.4m high. Plough spread soil from the mound has obscured all trace of side ditches. At the E end the false portal is represented by two upright megaliths about 3.0m apart (the northern stone is 1.7m high by 1.3m wide by 0.3m thick; the southern 1.9m high by 1.3m wide by 0.9m thick) against the W side of which leans a great slab 3.2m long by 2.1m wide by 0.3m thick, set on edge N-S. These megaliths are at present obscured by dense bramble.
Surveyed at 1:2500 on AM. (9)
Posted by Chance
11th October 2012ce
Edited 6th July 2014ce