The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Cumbrian sites
14 messages
Select a forum:
In the book 'Circles Of Stone' (Max Milligan/Aubrey Burl) there's an entry about a pair of rings called 'White Moss' with a not-brilliant photo showing what looks like a pair of small rings described in the text as 'in poor condition'. It talks about another pair at Low Longrigg a quarter of a mile to the north and 'the fine Brats Hill stone circle, with its similarity to Castlerigg' only 120 yards to the east. I can't find any mention of these either in the TMA book or on this site but can see them plainly on the OS map near footpaths running north from the Beckfoot Bridge stop on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, a walk of perhaps 2/3 miles though I'm notoriously bad at judging distances when looking at winding footpaths on OS maps. Has anyone out there visited these circles and, if so, can they tell me about ease of access, whether they're worth the effort etc? Are they in fact on TMA but under different names? I'm thinking of a Lake District trip in the spring and would love to include these.

Reply | with quote
ironstone
Posted by ironstone
1st December 2015ce
14:08

4 replies:

Re: Cumbrian sites (spencer)
Re: Cumbrian sites (Rhiannon)
Re: Cumbrian sites (GLADMAN)
Re: Cumbrian sites (The Eternal)

Messages in this topic: