The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Dartmoor Forum Start a topic | Search
Dartmoor
Re: Time Team Reservoir Rituals
58 messages
Select a forum:
mascot wrote:
I don't think it's fair to go after TT on what they say day 1. Every scientist normally works from a "hypothesis" and then tests this - TT just expose some of their thinking during the programme so there are bound to be times when initial assumptions get shown to be wrong. The alternative would lose the "your watching it live, warts and all" approach of the programme and make it probably less popular?

I remember the roman bridge timbers show (peircebridge?) where the tree-ring guy refused to show a potential date mid programme (haven't seen him back since :-) ).

I've watched lots of TV programs dumb down science over the time TT has been going - I think they've managed to keep the quality up all things considered.

I think TT bridges archeology and TV reality program rather well and TV would be a sadder place without it for me.

Mac

I totally agree Mac. Before they came along archaeology was dead in the water for most sit-at-home tele-watchers. Chronicle was superb in its time as well but I thought for the more high-brow. Like him, or loathe him, it was a stroke of genius getting Tony Robinson to front the programme. His portrayal of Baldrick in Blackadder told you what you were in for...a guy who would be on the side of the ordinary folk who had always seen archaeos as being aloof and stand-offish but could bring the two together. He has accomplished that brilliantly. Arise Sir Anthony.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
7th February 2011ce
16:56

Messages in this topic: