The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Fortingall Churchyard Forum Start a topic | Search
Fortingall Churchyard
Re: Buried stones and yew trees
21 messages
Select a forum:
I hope the following makes some sort of sense ...

Regarding the burial of stones such as the petroglyphics ones I talk of could have been some symbolic planting of a seed within Mother Earth in a time of drought or need.

Maybe there are distant ties to the Chinese myths of the demi-gods being born from stone eggs.

It brings me to another instance of deeply buried stones which is not at all the same as the above instance. There is one very close to the famous Johnny Fox's pub in Glencullen just south of Dublin. This stone stands just 1.5 m above ground, but when a local big-wig wanted it moved to his lawn in the 1700s the labourers dug down over 20ft without finding the bottom of it !!

When talking about this with a friend I was suggesting the obvious penetration of Mother Earth theory (the stone consists completely of quartz. A big solidified lump of sperm?) when he proposed the following theory. If it was just a boundary marker (which I feel many stones were) then perhaps the rule was ...

"If you want to cross my land then you move my stone!"

In a world without definite answers this is as good an argument as any.

How this does relate to the buried petroglyphs is that there are many reasons to consider. Perhaps the buried petroglyphs were considered evil. Perhaps it was bad luck to break them up so the way to get rid of them was to bury them deep.

We will never know about these things but it's fun to speculate.

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
19th December 2001ce
10:01

In reply to:

Re: Buried stones and yew trees (FourWinds)

Messages in this topic: