The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ure-Swale Plateau Forum Start a topic | Search
Ure-Swale Plateau
sacred space cadets
16 messages
Select a forum:
I know I was just getting at TomBo really, but yes, that's exactly the picture I'm thinking of.

Professor Thom has that stone indicating the winter solstice sunset. I've a daughter named Meg with some qualities of that Gilderdale rock - and she grew up not all that far away from it. Now a mum herself ...

I'm roughly going with the idea that the circles were broadly solar and the rows broadly lunar. My little spiral now seems to be a small double ring (oval) with some loose bits. 5 - 7 m. diameter. The little digger is parked up my track and seems ex-RN.

I'm going to measure a few of the main stone row lines with a little compass - see if they can be matched to one of Thom's histograms before measuring more finely. I've found ten stone rows now ! Something to do with building stone walls for so long and thus recognising the shapes on the ground. I think there's 180 known in the UK.

'My' three curricks on a hilltop near Kirkhaugh measure two eighths of a degree on the horizon. In my disordered imagination I thought I would be able to persuade someone to move onto the site this summer and to observe the astronomical phenomena ...

Reply | with quote
AtomicMutton
Posted by AtomicMutton
21st August 2003ce
07:17

Messages in this topic: