The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

   

Süderbrarup - Kummerhy

Round Barrow(s)

<b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by NucleusImage © Uwe Häberle 06/2020
Latitude:54° 38' 31.49" N
Longitude:   9° 46' 5.09" E

Added by Nucleus


Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic



Show  |  Hide
Web searches for Süderbrarup - Kummerhy
Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
Photographs:<b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by costaexpress <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by costaexpress <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by costaexpress Maps / Plans / Diagrams:<b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Süderbrarup  - Kummerhy</b>Posted by Nucleus

Fieldnotes

Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
Süderbrarup - Kummerhy is a late Bronze Age burial mound excavated in 1861. The burnt remains of a dead person were found in a small stone box in the center. Outside the inner, still preserved stone circle is a 2 m high guardian stone (in German Wächterstein). There are more than 45 cup marks on it. Later, presumably during the Viking Age, another dead person was buried unburned, the outer stone circle was created and a new hill about 15 m in diameter was raised over it.

In Süderbrarup, turn into the Bahnhofsstraße in the direction of Norderbrarup. Follow the road for 750 m. Just before the Thorsberger Moor (an old famous German sacrificial bog, in which the Angles deposited votive offerings for approximately four centuries) car park on the right, turn left into the Heuländer Straße and cross the railway tracks. Immediately after the level crossing, the site lies on the right side.

P.S.: The image stabilizer on my camera didn't work properly on this tour, so some of my images are unfortunately out of focus. Sorry for that.

Visited June 2020
Nucleus Posted by Nucleus
29th August 2020ce

taken from the on-site Historischer Kultur- und Natur-Wanderlehrpfad information board:
Burial mound Kummerhy

Burial mounds have shaped the landscape of northern Germany for thousands of years. Most of them are visible from afar on natural hills, some groups of burial mounds also follow the course of old path systems.

This burial mound called "Kummerhy" (Kummer = chamber, burial chamber; hy = hill) from the Younger Bronze Age (1100-730 / 720 BC) is situated west of the Thorsberger Moor. It is the last remaining burial mound of a dismantled group of three mounds and was examined as early as 1861 by the excavator of the Thorsberg bog finds, Conrad Engelhardt, and then covered. In 1927 the Süderbrarup Bürgerverein (citizens' association) excavated it again.

Originally the "Kummerhy" had a diameter of around 15 m, a height of 3 m and had two stone circles of around 6 m and 12-15 m in diameter. In the center was a very small stone cist made of two stone slabs (approx. 50 x 60 cm, ground and ceiling) and 14 small stones that formed the wall. Cremated bones and a bronze needle lay inside.

Outside the stone circle was a so-called "guardian stone", the side of which, provided with approx. 45 cup marks, faced the hill. In the inner stone circle was another dead man, his head laid on a stone in the border. This apparently included two stone steles (high, free-standing pillars). Today it is assumed that a subsequent burial took place here in the existing burial mound during the Viking Age. Two Viking Age corpses that came to light just a few meters west of the hill also fit in with this. The entire complex with the cup marks stone obtained the new larger stone circle after the two steles were set.

Conrad Engelhardt also reported on four urns that were in the mantle of the hill. Especially in the Younger Bronze Age people used existing mounds as burial places for the burned dead and buried in urns.

The current state of the reconstructed mound shows, all in all, its original appearance, only the stone with its cup mark front has been turned a little more to the east, towards the Thorsberger Moor.
Nucleus Posted by Nucleus
29th August 2020ce
Edited 29th August 2020ce

taken from the on-site information board:

COMMUNITY Süderbrarup
- Kummerhy burial mound -

Excavated burial mound from the late Bronze Age (around 650-500 BC). The cremated remains of the dead man were found in a small stone box in the center.
Outside the inner stone circle there is an approximately 2m high "guarding stone" with more than 45 cup marks.
Later, perhaps not until the Viking Age (9th-10th centuries AD), another dead person was buried unburned, the outer stone circle was laid out and a new hill about 15 m in diameter was built over it.
Excavated in 1861; exposed again in 1927 by the Bürgerverein ("citizens' association") Süderbrarup.
Nucleus Posted by Nucleus
29th August 2020ce
Edited 29th August 2020ce