The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Maes Knoll Forum Start a topic | Search
Maes Knoll
Not paragliding at Maes Knoll
6 messages
Select a forum:
Another windy unflyable day, so we took the opportunity to have a look at Maes Knoll for future reference as it is a flying site.

We walked from the southern most point anti-clockwise around the hill. The Wansdyke ditch was great, and opens up a lovely framed view of Bristol as you gradually wind around the hill.

As we got to the top, the Tump appeared! Having started to discover that there are quite a few flying sites on or near ancient historic ones, I'm trying to get to know a little about the history. I read a bit about Maes Knoll before we went, but the size of the Tump took me by suprise.

Why is it there?! It stands proud on the top of the hill, surrounded by flat ground. The Wansdyke slopes gently away from the top of the hill, down one of the shallower slopes, and the tump seemed to be end-on to it.

I read that it could have been defensive; would there have been a wall around the rest of the fort? I presume this would have been wooden if it had existed. The location of the mound on the highest point of the hill seemed to suggest almost willful construction rather than any defensive purpose, just to get higher above the hill and see better over the open ground below.

It's very intriguing and another amazing site which I'm itching to fly. I'd be really grateful if anyone can provide an explanation!

Reply | with quote
Posted by RichardZ
7th March 2003ce
23:48

Messages in this topic: