The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Ebbor Gorge Forum Start a topic | Search
Ebbor Gorge
Re: Calling Rhiannon re: Ebbor Gorge
6 messages
Select a forum:
Hello IM!

Glad you had such an enjoyable time on Brean Down! I was itching to climb up it but I'm sure we will go again. You're right about the caravans, they don't disturb you once you're right out there at the end. We walked right out on the beach along the rocks and it was silent (apart from the waves!) and empty and excellent.

No, by the time we got to Ebbor Gorge the man with his landrover was hanging about waiting to shut the gate for the night. So we didn't walk down to the gorge because we didn't know how far it was - thought we'd save it for another time. But we crossed the road to have a look at the view you mentioned - there was the tor in the mist and it looked amazing, took me back to a time when I didn't feel quite so disillusioned with glastonbury (the cynical new age shops, the buggers that ripped me off in the bookshop, the nonsense peddlars up on the tor etc etc - but I still love the chalice gardens and the tor really).

It's nice to go out with no particular aim in mind, you invariably find something great that you don't expect to find. It was a particularly nice day/evening on Sunday, but there's definitely something special about the edge of the Mendips there. Maybe it's because it's one of those 'liminal' spots, perching between earth and sky, and I guess the caves are one again, a door between above ground and the 'underworld'. Not to get too new-agey about it of course. But that must be unconciously something of its appeal?

So we marked Ebbor Gorge as somewhere to come back to, definitely. If you're down in Bristol regularly then perhaps we should all meet up sometime, that would be nice.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
5th March 2003ce
13:06

In reply to:

Calling Rhiannon re: Ebbor Gorge (IronMan)

Messages in this topic: