The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   White Sheet Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
White Sheet Hill
Flying above White Sheet Hill
14 messages
Select a forum:
I'm a paraglider pilot and flew White Sheet Hill last summer. Taking off at the south east end of the hill, having walked through the earthworks and ditches was incredible. When you reach a hundred feet or so, you have an amazing view of how the seemingly quite chaotic ditches are very concentric. Up on the top of the hill, probably SW of the mast, there is what looks like a boss from the sky.

The experience was amazing, and despite being a short flight it rated as one of my best of the summer. I'm looking forward to the weather picking up and flying there again, with a camera this time.

However, I know next to nothing about these forts! Having just moved to Bristol, we've done a bit of exploring and found Little Down near Lansdown race course and explored the barrow at Frocester (another flying site). I would be really grateful for any pointers to good books or places on the web to learn about the history of these forts and the people who built them.

Thanks,

Richard.

Reply | with quote
Posted by RichardZ
27th February 2003ce
23:32

Messages in this topic: