The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Boleycarrigeen Forum Start a topic | Search
Boleycarrigeen
Hill figures
4 messages
Select a forum:
So, why have I attached a thread to a stone circle about hill figures?

What I am looking for is examples of hill figures *OUTSIDE* of Britain. This is because I have recently heard of one on the side of Keadeen mountain that overlooks Boleycarrigeen and it is from folklore attached to this figure that Boleycarrigeen gets its alternative name of 'The Griddle Stones' from.

The two figures show up as patches of different couloured grass, apparently very clearly, and are of a man and a woman standing side by side. Not surprisingly these are known as Finn McCool and his wife and the folklore states that they come down from the hill every day and cook at Boleycarrigeen stone circle - hence the Griddle Stones.

So, I was a wondering .... These are the first hill figures (in Europe) that I have heard of not in GB. Are there any others?

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
12th December 2002ce
09:28

1 reply:

Re: Hill figures (RiotGibbon)

Messages in this topic: