The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Lewis and Harris Forum Start a topic | Search
Lewis and Harris
Re: 'Scotland's Sacred Islands' with Ben Fogle
15 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I had recorded 'Scotland's Sacred Islands' but it can be picked up on BBC iplayer.
Its incredible beauty aside the spiritual element may not appeal to everyone - Ben Fogle describes himself very much as on a pilgrimage. Whatever you think about that when he gets to Harris and Lewis it is worth the journey - he meets up with archaeologist Ian McHardy and climbs a challenging sea stack. Here Ian McHardy talks about a dig back in 2005 where 300 fragments of pottery were found in a relatively small area and evidence of burning/cremation on the artificial plateau on top of the stack.
Also some amazing aerial shots of Callanish and ending on Bosta beach.

Quite therapeutic I thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/[...]es-1-3-northern-outer-hebrides

I could have done with the visuals only rather than the pithy "spiritual" content which was taken up with how Prince Charles had visited an English Woman who had moved to Harris. It was exhausting trying to control my gag reflex - but this programme was worth it for the scenery and the archaeology. I just wish they would take their "mindfulness" and "Royal Family" and "Spirituality" and leave the Natural History, History and Archaeology to speak for itself.
My own ancestors were driven off Dun Eistean at Port of Ness.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
2nd November 2021ce
17:42

Messages in this topic: