The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stonehenge
35 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
There is so much to take in, from all these videos but I did notice that he mentioned the Stonehenge Bluestone circle down by the river, found earlier. I have no problem with MPP's personality, he comes over as sincere and exploring a possible theory.

The problem I think with the Presceli hills and all its archaeological sites is that they are very much under explored. Trying to fix magical powers to flying stones as Geoffrey of Monmouth did is perhaps not the right story to hinge archaeological excavations on. You have only to read 'Prehistoric Preseli' by Figgis to understand that there are many sites there, including stone circles, disappeared or otherwise.

A note from Figgis's book........

An 18th C record notes 'near Kily-Maen-Llwyd on a great mountain a circle of mighty stones very much like Stonehenge in Wilshire, or rather like the Rollrych Stones in Oxfordshire' The whereabouts of this demolished circle is unknown. Cillmaenllwyd parish includes Glandy Cross, but no 'great' mountain.

True. Meini Gwyr's always intrigued me.... With Gors Fawr not far off, who's to say other 'circles, now lost, didn't once exist?

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
23rd February 2021ce
14:37

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge (moss)

Messages in this topic: