The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision
37 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
ironstone wrote:
what's the real (as opposed to ideal) alternative?

The entirely real alternative is to build the tunnel a bit longer, say 4.5 miles instead of a niggardly 2.9 miles.

This can't be claimed to be technically impossible as we built a rail tunnel of 4.5 miles under the Severn 150 years ago.

Nor can it be claimed to be too expensive as we are going to build a tunnel for HS2 under the Chilterns which will be 10 miles long.

Hi Nigel, you know I'm your biggest fan but have to say in this instance I totally disagree. I do not understand why the Government has agreed to spend all this money (plus ++) on such a controversial road/tunnel scheme that benefits only the south of England at a time when the country has gone deeper and deeper into debt to keep afloat during these historically awful times. A monumental folly.

Small wonder Scotland wants to break loose.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
16th November 2020ce
10:13

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: