The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision
37 messages
Select a forum:
FWIW, I agree with tjj's summary: "if in doubt, don't". For my money, there is a potential to cause irreversible harm (beyond the actual loss of archaeology itself) and it also seems like a lot of money that could be better spent on something else.

But if they are going to do it, the current plans do seem less appalling than some of the earlier versions. My main reason for posting the link is because it doesn't get caught up in the emotional, loaded language used in other articles I've read, nor is tabloid-ese particularly.

As for people being excluded from seeing the stones from A303 road-distance, I'm guessing you will still be able to see them from there, just not from a car window. It will be interesting to know what they plan do with the stopped-up route, as it would be great if it was kept as a right of way or included in the open access land. This is probably set out somewhere in the plans but it hasn't jumped out at me. I won't be sorry to see the road disappear from the landscape anyway.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
13th November 2020ce
11:39

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: