The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Right to Roam - Guy Shrubsole
22 messages
Select a forum:
The Spring edition of the Ramblers quarterly magazine 'Walk' has an interview with Guy Shrubsole, co-campaigner with Nick Hayes, and author of ‘Who Owns England’. The interviewer asks him about his statement that 92% of land does not have open access and 97% of are rivers are limits.
Guy’s answer is most definitely worth reading. His opening sentence is to say “that we have access to 8% of England is huge testament and thanks to the work of the Ramblers. The Right to Roam is the core of what the Ramblers are built on”. He talks specifically about Scotland later in the interview.

As a long standing member (though I no longer walk with them) I know what an amazing job they do protecting and maintaining historic footpaths. In their magazine there is also an article headed ‘Walk the Line' – tracks across the landscape not only lead us where we want to go, they can also be expressions of free will and works of artistic beauty – and we should protect them at all costs. It lists and describes seven types of ancient footpath which most of us will recognise – Cairned paths (marked by a man-made heap of stones often at summits), Coffin paths (also known as bier roads and lych ways), Desire Paths (informal shortcuts), Drovers’ Roads, Herepaths (former trade/communication routes between remote settlements), Holloways (sunken ancient paths or roads), and Smile paths – I didn’t know this last one. It is a deviation on defined routes, typically around an obstacle such a fallen tree, puddle or locked gate.
I don’t know if the Walk magazine is generally available in W.H.Smith (is that even still in business) if it is then this edition is excellent value for money (Issue 70: Spring 2021, £3.60).

Something I feel passionate about so apologies if I've rambled on a bit :-)

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
25th February 2021ce
17:31

In reply to:

Right to Roam (thelonious)

Messages in this topic: