The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Right to Roam
22 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Another little book people might like to read is The Fish Ladder by Katherine Norbury - it is actually her own personal story which she weaves around following various rivers in the UK back to their source - the most northerly one being Dunbeath which takes her to Loch Braighe na h'Aibbne. In another instance near the source of the Severn she steps into a puddle which turns out to be a bog and is covered completely with muddy water - fortunately her young daughter is with her to help her climb out.

Hi tjj. I had a lazy Sunday morning today and finished reading ‘The Fish Ladder’. Just wanted to thank you for recommending it. Well worth spending time with and I’ll let it settle in my head over the next few days. Not my usual sort of book and I’m not that used to reading about someone’s life in such bare detail. So sad at times. Love the places she wrote about. Many I’ve been lucky enough to have visited. Brought back nice times spent with my Dad, a keen birdwatcher, over the years. The Dunbeath Water is a magic place and the prehistory there is well worth a visit and not that hard to get to. Thanks again.

PS I love rivers and streams, who doesn't! Thought I'd post this link as reading the book reminded me of it. Can't remember where I saw it first. Sorry if it's been posted on here before.

Meander - Just a lovely word I think

http://roberthodgin.com/project/meander

Reply | with quote
thelonious
Posted by thelonious
23rd August 2020ce
14:59

In reply to:

Re: Right to Roam (tjj)

1 reply:

Re: Right to Roam (tjj)

Messages in this topic: