The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Eston Moor Cup and Ring Stone
8 messages
Select a forum:
Hello all,

I'm new to archaeology, but I've been a lover of the NY Moors and the Cleveland Hills all my life. I have recently moved to Skelton, and was actually alerted to the Eston Moor Stone by a school friend who's been in NZ for about 25 years!

Curious to see it, I set off on Sunday, 26 July, but couldn't find it. Armed with GPS and OS apps, I tried again today, 28 July. I found the position where there was a depression but no stone. The depression (about 8 feet by 4 feet and about a foot deep at most) was the same size and orientation as the picture on MA. I took lat/long and grid.ref. of the site. Back home I plotted the MA grid. ref. and the MA lat/long. They were about 100m apart if I've done this correctly, and my measurements on site were in between the two.

If I've got this right, has the stone been taken? I'll see where I can post photos.

Best wishes,

John

Reply | with quote
Posted by John McCue
28th July 2020ce
18:24

Messages in this topic: