The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Wanna be amazed?
11 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:

I did want to be amazed Nigel but found some of Simon's blog quite complicated - need to go back and allow it to percolate. I was reminded however, of a walk I did a few years back starting at Woodhenge, which as everyone knows is next to Durrington Walls. The walk took me past the Old King Barrows, the New King Barrows, the Avenue and ultimately the Cursus. What struck me most was how amazing Stonehenge looked from afar, how the visitors walking around seemed tiny and almost insignificant. And that Stonehenge was really the centrepiece in a much larger ancient landscape.

The little book I took my walk from was written by someone called Jean Patefield and published in 2009 - which was before the carpark and visitors centre were relocated and still under discussion. She ends her narrative with the words "There is one school of thought that says this a merely another chapter in the long history of Stonehenge and that cleaning up the landscape would be just another form of inauthenticity"

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th July 2020ce
18:36

In reply to:

Wanna be amazed? (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Wanna be amazed? (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: