The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Trespass
5 messages
Select a forum:
Watching this very carefully. It definitely has the potential to massively restrict us, especially in England where I can see landowners being quick to call the police.

I've always been quite relaxed about trespass, on the basis that (unless it's on railway or military land) it's not a crime. As long as no damage is caused it really doesn't warrant anyone getting exercised about it. Criminalising trespass would make for lots of vexatious allegations from landowners who want to restrict access for its own sake, rather than seeking to prevent damage, theft etc.

It's hardly good use of stretched police resources and also counter to wider attempts to improve access to the countryside, but with the most right wing Home Secretary we've ever had, I can see a law change being pursued.

Personally I still think Scotland has reached a really good balance between protecting property rights and encouraging access to the countryside. Sadly England has always been much less liberal on this subject.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
9th March 2020ce
17:15

In reply to:

Trespass (thelonious)

1 reply:

Re: Trespass (thelonious)

Messages in this topic:

Trespass (thelonious, Mar 09, 2020, 11:18)
    • Re: Trespass (thesweetcheat, Mar 09, 2020, 17:15)
    • Re: Trespass (tjj, Mar 10, 2020, 17:00)