The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Shropshire Forum Start a topic | Search
Shropshire
Re: Beautiful gold Shropshire sun pendant
8 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Well, that's a very lovely thing. I would definitely do a little dance if I found that, just before calling the FLO hotline.

Nice to see Shropshire in some positive news, recently the headlines there are all flood-related. Mind you, we seem to be having a year of biblical-type problems so far, floods, plagues, locusts in the handwash aisle, etc. Perhaps it's time for us to be making offerings to the Gods ourselves. If everyone chucked their smartphones in the nearest pond, perhaps the sun would come out, the flood waters would recede and the sick would rise from their beds. I reckon our ancestors were onto something.

Hahaha! Yes indeed tsc, I know you are only partly joking. Now international travel has been slowed right down because of the coronavirus (which hasn't as yet touched any children) it does feel that the gods are Very Angry.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the other posts but there was also another gold artefact (perhaps two) that had been wrapped in lead before being sunk in bogland - clearly an offering that was never intended to be found. As it has now, it will go to Shrewsbury Museum as well.

Nigel I agree with you to some extent about the One Show, banal and superficial on most levels but occasionally coming up with a gem of a nature piece or an insightful human interest story. I did see the piece about this find the other evening and was genuinely awed.
PS: And, uncool though it is to admit, I do like Matt Baker - 'a very nice young man'.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
5th March 2020ce
10:26

In reply to:

Re: Beautiful gold Shropshire sun pendant (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: