The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: The Uffington White Horse
30 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:

Wysefool, the chap I mentioned with the mad look, I met him once at a ceremonial scattering of ashes at Wayland's Smithy of one of the contributors to TMA. He was very gentle and shy, and has since died but he cared for Wayland's Smithy and kept it clear of rubbish. An unsung hero. X

Its good to be reminded of the close association of Wysefool and Treaclechops with Wayland's Smithy and Uffington. Wayland's Smithy is definitely somewhere with an 'atmosphere'. Holly speaks very movingly about her friend remembering all that was alive and quirky about him and that his friends and family may now scatter his ashes up around Uffington. I wonder how many people want to have their ashes scattered up at Uffington White Horse? Or perhaps at another prehistoric site.

I digress - back to Wysefool. I had forgotten he posted this link about Dragon Hill which Holly might find interesting
http://www.berkshirehistory.com/archaeology/dragon_hill.html
it includes this information.
In a 10th century charter, the hill is given its original name of Eccles Beorh, that is 'Church Barrow'. This may suggest that a Christian religious building once stood on the summit.
There was a geophysical survey conducted in 1990 to identify the early medieval chapel that once stood on dragon hill.

I don't know what the outcome of the geophysical survey was.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
8th January 2020ce
17:16

Messages in this topic: