The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Favourite site visited 2019
12 messages
Select a forum:
Been a bit of an odd year for me, with various costly domestic bills and a couple of bouts of being ill one way or another. In between that we walked the Northumberland coast path from Burnmouth into Newcastle, had a very enjoyable week on the Isle of Man and I managed to get to a load of sites in a Bodmin Moor day trip that I'd been wanting to visit for many years. Also a very memorable trip to Avebury in beautiful pristine snow.

Favourite new sites for me would be:

The various Northumberland stone circles and Roughting Linn. The highlight from that area was an arduous walk into a gale to see Threestoneburn circle (it was easier on the way back) which greatly exceeded expectations. Duddo, Dod Hill and Hethpool were all great too (not to mention a raft of amazing castles).

In Cornwall the highlight was probably King Arthur's Hall, but the day took in Emblance Down, Leaze, Stripple Stones and Trippet Stones ad some other bits and pieces, so really was an ensemble triumph. It was also nice to find a newly cleared route to Lanyon Quoit, which prompted a first visit for 8 years.

On Man I most enjoyed the evening visit to Mull Hill, but there were plenty of star sites there.

Finally the newly discovered ring cairn above Tintern was a welcome addition to local prehistory for me.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
30th December 2019ce
18:19

In reply to:

Favourite site visited 2019 (thelonious)

Messages in this topic: