The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Orkney by public transport. Att: Swetcheat.
11 messages
Select a forum:
So yeah its doable..generally.
Based at Stromness but same would apply for Kirkwall as the bus I mostly used runs between the two.
Easy to do sites, bearing in mind you can flag a bus down anywhere. You can also get off anywhere you request too. Mostly.

Stennes.
Brodgar.
Unstan.
Mae's Howe.
Barnhouse stone.
Cuween.

Skara Brae can be done on a connecting bus if you plan it. Dont miss the last bus or you're up the creek.
Wideford is a bit of a challenge. The driver I got wouldn't stop anywhere between Finstown and Kirkwall but I'm told that driver was a stand in from the mainland and generally it isn't a problem. They'll let.you out but it's on your own from there. Fields and fences right from off their motorway! I very strongly suggest you do not walk the roads! I tried and almost got killed. :D Seriously dont.
On a positive note I found thumbing a lift pretty easy. Helped me out a lot.

Tomb of the eagles/Otters.
I didnt manage it. Theres a bus to the village but its several miles walk there and back from the last stop. Given my experience of Orkney roads I didnt even try.

I also had a rest day on the Thursday so could have done more but needed it after visiting Wideford. :D In reality I think I did pretty well only being there for a week.

Dwarfie. It's an easy one. Take the early morning ferry from Stromness to Moaness. About £9 return and you get about 8hrs there but check the timetable as it's just changed and does depending on season. Comfy waiting room at the dock and a cafe on the road out of there.

So yeah....do it. You'll be awestruck. :)

Reply | with quote
harestonesdown
Posted by harestonesdown
19th May 2019ce
01:03

Messages in this topic: