The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Interesting article in Daily Tory...Men almost wiped out in Spain between 4500-4000BCE by Russians
7 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Monganaut wrote:
Why didn't I think of that! (bit thick I guess :)

Hah! there's me thinking better not join in this discussion as brain cells having a lie-down. However, the phrase 'sex-bias' got me going and I started googling. Came across quite a few 'scholarly articles' which made interesting reading insofar as I was able to decipher them. This one caught my attention.
https://www.pnas.org/content/114/10/2657.short

Article closes with this paragraph:
The contrasting patterns of sex-specific migration during these two migrations suggest a view of differing cultural histories in which the Neolithic transition was driven by mass migration of both males and females in roughly equal numbers, perhaps whole families, whereas the later Bronze Age migration and cultural shift were instead driven by male migration, potentially connected to new technology and conquest.

This is fascinating, and reinforces ideas of the Bronze Age and its shifts in values and power - ideas I remember first thinking about on reading TMA years back. Thank you.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Zariadris
17th March 2019ce
15:58

Messages in this topic: