The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Mudlark finds Neolithic skull by Thames
15 messages
Select a forum:
Cheers for the link, will have a look later. Kinda enjoyed the last link you posted, but for the guys spoken delivery, which was very off putting, and had me zoning out occasionally (though to be fair, I was doing other things whilst listening).

Yeah, before that Dunbar study I think the general consensus was that moving and hunting tribes/bands size being more than 30 or 40 max, which is still a fairly large amount peeps clubbed together. Though I'm not sure if this is an Extrapolation of prehistoric tribes numbers, or bases on 'modern' hunter/gatherer tribe populations.

Excavations at Starr Carr has shown us that these bands were not always on the move, so I guess populations may have grown during these periods, then maybe split off into other bands when the populous got to big. If you find a sweet spot, it makes sense to hang around and hoover up the local resources. Indeed, studies have shown numerous bands staying put around the same lake, though I'm not sure they were all at the same time. Though if they were all hanging around, some interaction must have taken place, maybe even interbreeding etc..

Reply | with quote
Posted by Monganaut
24th February 2019ce
16:53

Messages in this topic: