The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: Scheduling of Cornish Sites
2 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:

Have just read the above article which is of course worrying. I had the impression that Cornwall's ancient monuments (including crosses) were generally cherished. Your article highlights the sterling work Roy Goutte and his friends are doing in North Cornwall. Do I take it he has changed his stance on metal detecting :)
Quote:
“It was a great surprise to me to discover that the whole Leskernick complex was not scheduled.” Roy told me and his concerns were justified as the work got underway. “During the clearance there were signs of damage by recent metal detectorists and earlier ‘treasure seekers’ who had dug into the cairn nearest the stone row and those on Leskernick Hill itself. Throughout the settlement there are indications of damage where stones from the round houses have been lifted, there were also clear signs of [farm] vehicles damaging the stone circles and also the removing or breaking up of the now recumbent stones.”

Scheduling would certainly protect sites from indifferent land owners/farmers whose primary concern is land clearance for whatever reason - thinking of Priddy Henge where the landowner was prosecuted for allowing damage to it. Not sure it would deter rogue metal detectorists though.

On a positive note and part of the bigger picture, Ocifant recently posted some good news about Penwith ...
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=76562

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
14th January 2018ce
17:23

In reply to:

Scheduling of Cornish Sites (moss)

Messages in this topic: