The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Sacred directions
28 messages
Select a forum:
I heard most of this on the way home the other night
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09gfcgy
- an episode of 'beyond belief'. I thought it very much fed into that perennial tma favourite topic of sacred places.
Naturally it was focusing on Christianity with a bit of other faiths / cultures thrown in. But also some stuff about the seasons and the spinning of the earth and paganism. And even a nod to 'but convince me this isn't all guff'. Which was quite nice really.

thought you might like it. Or at least find it interesting.
There was a bit of an eyebrow -raising moment where someone suggested that there's archaeological evidence for the direction people walked round circles. But I fear that really is guff because I can't imagine what that could be. Glad to be told should it be true.

A bit that sticks in my mind is the common idea of doing things sunwise, clockwise, east to west. But that (apparently) the followers of Shintoism in Japan go the other way because that way they greet the sun rather than following it. I could do with greeting a bit of sun right now.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
28th November 2017ce
22:44

Messages in this topic: