The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Wirral Megalithic Sites
28 messages
Select a forum:
Several suggestions have been made over the years about ancient stone sites on the Wirral. I have now investigated three based on OS map analysis : the Overchurch site at Upton; the Arrowe Park site; the Fender Lane, Bidston site.
The first two appear to host large stone circles. At Overchurch Hill 7 stones accurately lie on a true circle of ~1176 ft diameter. Four stones define two sectors of an inscribed hexagon. The graveyard platform of the Norman church also has interesting geometry. At Arrowe Park there are two concentric circles and a third circle and all together 13 stones seem to be involved. The inner circle also appears to host hexagonal geometry. At Fender Lane Bidston the old maps show 3 linear rows of stones more or less north south. In total there was once an array of 42 stones over 1250 ft long. At all three sites analysis shows many alignments to sun and moon rising and setting events far beyond chance. If anybody is interested or has done work on these sites please contact me. I am publishing a short book on these sites.

Professor D P Gregg (retired)

Reply | with quote
Posted by david gregg
19th November 2017ce
11:10

Messages in this topic: