The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   U-Know! Start a topic | Search
U-Know!
Re: Delusion, hope or a lie?
110 messages
Select a forum:
So I've a feeling that this will be futile but I going to ask you about two point you make (and then I'll happily let you have the last word!)

Firstly...

"Whatever your trade is - if they want it in Europe they will have you. If they dont then they wont. It is a job marketplace. Have fun. No-one gets a free ticket to an international career in whatever... I'm afraid."

IMHO opinion you're missing the point here. Indeed, as things stand this is the case in Europe (because of our EU membership) i.e. if an employer wants you they will have you. Post Brexit there will almost certainly be (politically led) restrictions on this because it represents the freedom of movement, freedom to work that many Brexiteers intrinsically want to stop.

I have family in the states. One of them owns a company that I would be eminently capable of working for and he would happily have offered me a job in my younger years...were it not for US Government legislation i.e. my need to qualify for a green card, which as a non-American, would have required me to demonstrate why no US citizen could do the job (which to be honest just wasn't the case. Ergo not a case of 'if they want you, they will have you' - and something that structurally I think will be heading Europe's way.

Secondly

"But being a false set of data it negates its own self. A bit like parading "2 + 2 = 17 so let's declare war on Iraq" or something on the side of a bus. "

The point that I was (maybe poorly and slightly flippantly, I'll admit) trying to make was that whether it was 1 in 4 or 1 in 40 women being subjected to violence - doesn't diminish the validity of the zero tolerance message. Now obviously if it was an outright lie - and no women were ever the subject of domestic violence - that would be a somewhat different conversation.

Anyway I look forward to your response and, indeed, sincerely hope that you're right about it being as easy for me to work in Europe post Brexit as it currently is. Unfortunately I just don't think that'll be the case. But hey - it's the future and none of us can really know - so we'll just have to see I guess

Reply | with quote
Posted by Locodogz
7th July 2017ce
15:12

In reply to:

Re: Delusion, hope or a lie? (Howburn Digger)

2 replies:

Re: Delusion, hope or a lie? (Sanctuary)
Re: Delusion, hope or a lie? (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: